Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I really dislike the person who decided I had to determine my career at 20.

I am seriously putting off some Algebra homework right now. But I have been working on it all evening, I am about at my limit, so I think a break is needed. Why do I have to be so dumb when it comes to math? :( And it doesn't help that when I don't understand, I just give up. It's a really bad habit I need to work on. Thank goodness Caleb is good at math and has patience with me. That's why I love him.

This past week has been busy, as always. It just seems like there isn't enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do. There always seem to be dishes to wash, homework to do, or some other not fun chore. O the joys of responsibilty and growning up. I have been trying really hard to make time for fun time, time to destress, and time to spend with Caleb because I might have a mental breakdown if I don't. ;)

Dean's Scholars took me to Natchez last weekend. I loved Natchez. It was so cute right on the river. It was my first trip and we got to tour some of the old antebellum homes and see some more sights. Dean's Scholars were there for the MAMLE (Mississippi Association of Middle Level Educators) Conference. We got to present our research in a session, which was fun for me. Why am I the strange person who doesn't get nervous public speaking? I love it really. I think I just like the attention. haha.

While on the topic of education, I had a huge realization in my Sociology class last Wednesday. I was totally not paying attention to the lecture and started thinking about what I saw my future as. I started thinking about teaching kindergarten (what I've wanted to do for years) and then all of a sudden it hit me...I love kids, BUT I honestly don't think I want to teach them 5 days a week, 180 days per year for the rest of my life. I think I might go crazy. I just cannot imagine going to work everyday and it consisting of singing silly songs, playing silly games, and not having adult conversations. Now I know elementary school isn't all games and songs, but I think I would be the worst teacher ever. I would have those kids 1. Scared of me 2. Sitting quietly at desks arranged in rows 3. Learning in the most cut and dry way possible. Because that's the kind of person I am. Silly songs are not my style. And I don't think it's fair of me to deprive these kids of the learning environment they will learn best in.

In light of that revelation, however, I've now decided that I want to teach high school. French, specifically. I just thought that if I could do what Dr. Mitchell does for the rest of my life, I would be happy. I LOVE learning about French and I think that should be what indicates my profession because I need to love what I do, or at least like it sometimes. SOOO that means I could be changing my major to French, minoring in Education and English (so I could teach English too, if I want). Who knows though...I haven't really made a decision. I need some advice or a Magic 8 Ball or something.

On a lighter note, the babies (Simba and Bobbi, that is) have been a constant source of laughter and annoyance all week. They are the sweetest things on earth. They are both sleeping on me now as I type this. They won't sleep anywhere but right beside me or on top of me, which is a pain, but I really don't mind. I do mind when they wake up at 3 in the morning and decide my leg is a scratching post or my toes are mice, but they are just kittens. I can't be mad at them long. :) They have such distinct and different personalities. Simba is a big butter ball and loves to explore and hide and be loved on. Bobbi is fiesty and demanding. If she needs or wants something, she is going to tell you about it. Neither of them like being home alone while Caleb and I are in classes. They go hide while we are gone, and when they hear us come home, they run out and don't leave our sides. I have a feeling they are going to be SO spoiled.

Back to the HW

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment