Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Mrs. Sherry!

Last night was "Bedtime Story Hour" at DSU. Kids from Cleveland came to the School of Ed. auditorium and we read them stories and did activities with them. I found this really cool book about a panda on sale in the Student Union for $4 and randomly bought it. So I was pretty pumped when I realized I could use it for Bedtime Story Hour.

I brought all 15 panda bears from home and my panda comforter. I wore my "Protect Panda Habitat" t-shirt. I pretty much looked obsessed...which I am. :)


The book is called Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth. It's about a panda who befriends a set of siblings and teaches them Ancient Chinese wisdom through the telling of short stories, hence the name Zen Shorts.

For my activities, I made posters of Chinese symbols and let the kids copy them in a HANDMADE booklet. I also gave them the link to the Pandacam at the Memphis Zoo (www.memphiszoo.org/pandacam). I also taught them how to hold chopsticks and let them (attempt to) pick up things with them.


I had fun, but it could have been better. We were supposed to work in groups of 4, but I ended up in a group of 2 and my partner didn't come to class the two weeks we had to work on it or last night. So, I did all the work myself. I hand made all of the booklets, bought all of the supplies...it would have been nice to have help. And I was told to prepare for 25 kids....I had 3. That was a lot of wasted time and money...but if those three kids had fun, then I guess it's all worth it.


Today is Caleb's mom's birthday, so a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her!


Here's a picture of the kittens. They are almost 4 months old. They are growing up TOO FAST!



Nicole









No comments:

Post a Comment