Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My ideas on healtcare

Before I write this, let's all keep in mind...
1. None of the Healtcare legislation affects me now (as I am on my parents health insurance)
2. I am young. I don't understand what it means to pay for insurance monthly, the burden of medical bill, etc.
3. I do not consider myself a real fan of either mainstream political party.
4. I don't have a televison. I don't keep up with the news (unless it makes the Yahoo! homepage). I don't hear what Katie says on the Nightly News or what Glenn Beck rambles on about on Fox News.

At first, I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about healthcare. What was wrong with it? Why did it need reforming? Why were people so darn upset about it?

So, I looked up some explinations of what the bill said, in plain English. I read something like this article http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html though not this exact one.

After reading this, I thought, "Hey, sounds like a good deal to me."

But then I realized, as a theoretical Libertarian, I should be opposed to such staunch government interference. It scares me to think how much control governemnt has and how it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Because I believe that small government=effecient, people-serving governement. However, we live in the United States, one of the largest countries in the world...small governement isn't going to happen. So all my Libertarian ideals, as much as I believe in them, do not really apply to my real life situation.

That's about the end of my political position on it. Now, for the part that really matters, my emotional response.

I highly recommend everyone go watch the PBS Frontline Special "Sick in America". It does a really good job at putting a face on the millions of American who desperatly need healthcare, but are unable to get it for whatever reason. It made me realize insurance companies are evil. The stories told in this documentary should make anyone believe that there needs to be a way for EVERYONE to have healthcare, even if that means government regulation. In this case, government is the lesser of two evils.

And the bill isn't even going to affect most people. Just the people who really do need health insurance and can't get it. And you know what, if it means I have to pay a little higher premium to help millions of people who need medicine who could previously not afford it, I am OKAY with that.

Go watch the Frontline documentary and put yourself in someone else's shoes. If that were you or your family, would you be so opposed to healthcare reform? I think not.

You should not be so angry over legislation meant to HELP millions of people. And if you are so worried about the cost, why don't you divert all those angry protests over to the TRILLIONS of dollars we spend on war...

Healthcare=Helping People
War=Killing Innocent People

Just think about it.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment