Sunday, February 26, 2012

Red Carpet round-up, Oscar style

I. LOVE. THE. OSCARS! I love the glamour of it all....the dresses, the show, the red carpet, the gold statue....o, it just makes me swoon. And, as a bonus, I also happen to really love movies. I remember as a kid watching the Oscars and only caring about the animation award, but now, I always try to see the nominated movies.

Let me say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, The Help was the absolute best movie I saw last year (but perhaps I am a bit biased). I laughed and cried all at the same time. Those women, black and white, good and bad, are characters that feel so close to my world. Even though I grew up in Mississippi 30 years apart from this story, it still felt so relatable and pertinent. Mississippi is still a work in progress. Even though this movie brings out an ugliness in my beloved home, it also celebrates the hearts of so many of its people. I really cannot say enough about this film.

So...you can guess I was pretty bummed out about how those last two awards turned out. As much as I love Meryl Streep (who won Best Actress), we all know Viola Davis was robbed. And though I didn't think The Help would win Best Picture, I held out a sliver of hope. Ah well...que sera, sera.

Now, lets begin with the dresses that I L.O.V.E.D!


Natalie Portman looked sophisticated  in red polka dots, something most people could not pull off. I quite like her serious bling-tastic necklace as well.


Guliana Ransic isn't even a movie star, but she stole the show in my opinion. It is so vintage and classic. Plus, she has been through a lot this year; I am glad she took this opportunity to shine!


Again, Emma Stone is so perfect. I have the hugest girl crush on her. She can do no wrong.


Penelope Cruz looks like a Spanish Grace Kelley. From the dress to her hair and jewelry...it just makes me happy.


Octavia Spencer looked super classy, as well. I really liked her hair, which was done by the hair stylist who worked on The Help with her!

One thing I also loved is that Bret McKenzie from Flight of the Concords is now an OSCAR WINNER! Those guys are hilarious. Seriously. Go watch this or this video, they will make your day!



Now for the ladies that kind of missed the mark a little...yikes...


Shailene Woodley....she is so young! Why would she wear such a matronly dress? I do not understand...it's not even a pretty matronly dress.


A lot of people really liked this...like it was JessicaChastain#bestdressed was trending on Twitter, but I have to disagree. It reminds me of a really expensive rug or a curtain.


As much as it pains me to do this, I feel I must. Viola Davis really missed the mark here with that color. It's just really, really, really green and it has a strange sheen to it that does not help that awful color. Kudos to her, though, for going au naturel in the hair department. I think that looks fierce.


I am glad Meryl Streep won an Oscar, because she came dressed as one.

So, anyone else have any favorite hits or misses??? Think I am totally wrong/right???

Nicole

1 comments:

  1. For some reason, I wasn't feeling Natalie's look.. though she usually does no wrong! I totally agree with your not-so-best dressed picks xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete