Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My grandmothers aka my BFFs

My VBFAs (very best friends always, for those of you not up on your 5th grade lingo) are my three grandmothers. O yes, 3 ladies in their 60's and 70's are my best friends. They get me. They have always, always, always been there for me when I needed someone to talk to or needed a shoulder to cry on or needed to vent about something. I am so thankful for the bond I have with each of these ladies. It might be worth mentioning that I am the ONLY granddaughter in my entire family, so they may spoil me just a bit.
 Meme, Nanny, Granny (Caleb's grandmother), Gran, Me Grandma Penny (Caleb's grandmother)

My MeMe is my step mother's mother. She came into my life when I was 8 years old. My first memory of her is meeting her at Burger King and telling her that I was going to call her MeMe.  And even though she wasn't there for my entire life, she and I have formed a special bond over the years. She is great to just talk to. If something is going wrong or if I am annoyed, she is the person I go to. She is a great listener.
MeMe and Pop

My Nanny is my father's step mother. I never knew my dad's biological mom; she passed away when my dad was very young and my Nanny practically raised him. She is my fiesty grandmother. She may be stubborn and head strong, but she has been very supportive of me. She too is a great listener, but she also knows just what to tell me to kick my butt in shape. It amazes me how she knows how I am feeling by just the tone in my voice. Before I even get around to mentioning that I am upset, she can sense it. She is a strong person who I have learned a lot from.

 Nanny and my little brothers

My Gran is my super VBFA. She is my mother's mother. My mom passed away when I was six and since then, my Gran has stepped up and been my mother figure. She is kind and compassionate. She is easy going and accepting. She has faced so much hardship and loss in her life, but she is still a strong, loving and happy. She could easily be angry at the world, hateful, and spiteful, but she choses to always be upbeat and positive. When I went to college, I was away from my parents but only 20 minutes from my Gran's house. I was at her house constantly and our bond became even closer. Caleb often came with me on these trips and she and Caleb also became close. Because the three of us were so close and my Gran had fostered and loved Caleb and I so much during our relationship, I knew she had to be my matron of honor at my wedding. Not only does my relationship with my Gran make me a better, happier person, it also gives me a connection to my mother. My Gran is just plain amazing and I am so lucky to have her.

My Daddy and Gran

I urge all you ladies, if your grandmothers are still with you, take some time to talk to them. They will show you unconditional love, give amazing advice, and listen to your every word. Mine are irreplaceable. 

Nicole

 

No comments:

Post a Comment