Wednesday, November 28, 2012

On how I lost a tree and Chirstmas Decor at the Calvert-Boettcher Apartment

I'm going to preface this with a little story.
Caleb and I lost our Christmas Tree. My grandparents gave us their old (not really old, just too big for them to worry with anymore) tree two years ago. The Christmas before we got married, when we lived together in sin (GASP), we put it up in our tiny apartment and it was beautiful. Just plain lovely. Only problem was that after Christmas, we had no where to store a 7 foot tree in our apartment. This is where the losing of the tree takes place. We packed it up and took it....somewhere. To my parents, or his parents or grandparents...who knows. Last year, we searched high and low for our beloved tree, but it was nowhere to be found. We had no tree last Christmas.  :(

So this year, I was determined to buy a new one. Unfortunately, to get a pretty fake tree, you gotta spend the big bucks. Big bucks I do not have, my friends. I decided that Black Friday was my only hope. I staked out the ads and found some pretty good deals I was ready to snatch up. I wasn't going to get my big, beautiful tree back, but I would have a semi-nice starter tree. I was ok with this.

But wait! My some Christmas miracle, my parents found our original tree! It was tucked away back in the far cornor of their attic. I don't know how I didn't find it last year but I don't care. I have my tree back! Christmas is saved!

Here are my decorations this year. Some of it is old, some new, some borrowed. All of it has memories and meaning attached. All of it makes my heart warm and mushy.

This was an empty wreath my mom gave us. I just added extra ornaments to it.
PS- Please forgive how dirty my front door looks. I live next to a field that got tilled up not too long ago.

Caleb says it looks like Christmas threw-up on our mantle, but I love it. All of the decorations (minus the stockings) came from Caleb's Granny. She hand made all three of those cute little elves.

Sadie wasn't so sure about what we were doing. This is her first Christmas tree.

She has been such a good girl with the tree. Hasn't eaten an ornament yet! If you knew how much my dog loves to eat inappropriate things, you would know just how much of an accomplishment this is.

Our tree.
PS- We couldn't agree on the bow or the star...so we put up both. Compromise is the key to marriage, right?

Candle lights outside.

I think this one strand of lights was given to us last year. I couldn't find a good place for them, but they were just so dang festive, I had to put them SOMEWHERE! So there they are...around my mirror...extension cord visible to all...redneck as we can be...we are from Mississippi, afterall.


So that's my Christmas decor this year. It just makes my heart smile to walk into our apartment after a long day and see so much Christmas cheer. That feeling is the best.

Nicole

9 comments:

  1. Love your decorations and your puppy is super duper adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. She is. a mess and a half!!

      Delete
  2. Love your mantle! So sweet that she handmade them!

    Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower from the blog hop! :) I love your decorations, so fun!
    -Bridgette
    http://bridgettenicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i love your christmas decorations! and your dog..she looks like a chocolate lab? exactly what i am wanting. just have to wait till i am in my own home.i have to say i love your mantle. i am a hugggge christmas lover!
    amy
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pup is a rescue so we like to say she is a crazy amalgamation of lab, chow, and pit bull. She is the best, imo.

      Delete
  5. Love your decorations and christmas tree!
    I'm a new follower from the thumping thursday hop! :)

    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hun,
    So I found your blog through That Friday Blog Hop and I am so glad I did!
    I am addicted to Christmas and love seeing peoples decorations, so beautiful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. your tree. your glorious tree. so glad you found it. love the decorations. love Christmas.
    Aloha,

    Following ya now from the Friday hop. It's so sweet to meet ya. I'd love for you to join me for the ride at Local Sugar Hawaii . We're riding the wave of life one teensy adventure at a time, come join us and if you'd like join us for An Aloha Affair-- our sweet gathering and mingling and... growing together. You're welcome anytime.

    cheers,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete