Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Change is good, right?

So for those of you who have been around a while (there aren't that many...) you will remember over there on my "About Me" I had "Future French/English Teacher". I have been in school 4.5 years with my goal being a degree and a teaching license. I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. I never thought I was meant to do anything else.

But you know, life gets in way sometimes of big plans.
Sometimes what we think we want, isn't really.
Sometimes what we want isn't achievable anymore.

And sometimes you just have to go out there on a leap of faith and go with your gut.

What I am saying is, I will graduate in May, but I will not have a teaching license. I will not be a teacher, nor will my degree hold teaching qualifications.

Here's the deal.

First, my voice decides to completely disappear in June. It has yet to make a full recovery. There is no way humanly possible (apart from some Christmas miracle) that I could student teach, a required part of obtaining a teaching license.

Second, I am a pretty decent French student. I know my stuff. But I could not pass the licensing exam in French, no matter how hard I studied. I have heard of teachers with 20+ years of experience teaching French not being able to pass the new version of the test.

Third, I am not so sure that teaching is my calling. Maybe I am just getting cold feet, pre-teaching jitters, but I seriously question if I have what it takes to be a public school teacher in Mississippi. It is a mentally, emotionally, and physically demanding job that I am not so sure I am ready to take on right now. Maybe in the future, when I am healthy (physically and mentally), I will be able to, but right now....I just don't have it in me.

So...that was depressing, no?

On a brighter note, I do have a plan. A plan I am more than a little excited about. Due to being in school for 4.5 years, I have accumulated lots of credits. I have French credits coming out of my ears. I am only 2 credits shy of an English minor and only 4 shy of a Communication Studies minor.

That means in May, when that lovely diploma is finally in my hands my credentials will read. Nicole Calvert, Bachelor of Arts in French, minors in English and Communication Studies. Sounds snazzy, right?

Who knows where that degree will land me in the "real world". I have no idea what kind of job requires my unique skill set, but bring it on, world! I am ready.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment