Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Attachment

While we were visiting everyone for Thanksgiving and passing Wilson around from grandma to grandma, I realized how well I know my baby. And how well he knows me. While Wilson does ok when others hold him, he really would prefer me. Especially if he is upset. No one else seems to hold his bottle right or comfort him the way he likes. My grandmother suggested that I have already "spoiled" my baby but I don't think I have. He is just used to me. He spends all of his time with me. So of course he wants me. I'm what he knows best. 

And I want him right back. It is so hard for me to let others attempt to comfort him. I know they love him and want to help, but in my mind, I can't help but to want to scoop him up and give him what I know he wants. I know his hungry cry from his bored cry. I know when the hands go in his mouth, he is usually tired, not hungry. If one more person tries to put a pacifier (that he doesn't like) in his mouth I might lose it. But I have to remind myself that they are trying to help, that they are doing what worked for them. I have to remind myself that they don't know Wilson, but they are trying to get to know him. I need to let them try. 

It's amazing how in tune I am to my baby's needs. He can't really communicate what he wants but I still know. Before I became a mom, I never realized I could know so much about such a little person. He is only 3 months old, but I'm learning his personality. It's almost instinctual the ways we know each other. I realize now they no one knows my baby like I do, and that feels pretty special. 


No comments:

Post a Comment