Monday, January 13, 2014

A Year of Food #1

I am not one to make New Year resolutions. Mostly because I have absolutely no will power and suck at goal making/keeping. But I made one this year. This year, I want to cook semi-homemade dinners 4 nights a week.

I know that seems pretty simple, but a year ago, I could make hamburger helper and Kraft Mac and Cheese. That's about it. I needed a box and directions to make anything, especially if I wanted it to taste good. Caleb cooked some and we ate out/got take out pretty often. But since I've been staying home, I've read a lot of food blogs and watched hours and hours of the Food Network. And more importantly, I've started to actually try to cook. And I love it. It's a big stress reliever for me. When Caleb comes home from work, I hand Wilson off and get an hour or so to make dinner. I measure and stir and sauté and drink a beer and relax. It's fun for me. It also makes me feel really good when I can make Caleb a nice meal after his day at work. Caleb seriously loves to eat and I can tell he appreciates my time and effort in the kitchen.

So since this is my blog, I want to use it to help keep me accountable and sticking to my goal. Every week I'll try to post the previous weeks dinners. I actually cooked 6/7 nights last week. I doubt that I'll do that good in the future but I'm glad to start out on a good foot.

Sunday:
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Pasta
I kind of cheated here. It was from a box. But I did add vegetables, chicken, and sausage.



Monday:
Chicken Empanadas, homemade refried beans, Spanish rice
The empanadas didn't turn out quite right but those beans were amazing.



Tuesday:
Chicken chipotle chili
This was frozen from my last huge pot. It's one of my favorite things I make.

Wednesday:
Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet and sour is Caleb's favorite thing to get at Chinese takeout so I was nervous to try to make it at home. But it turned our really tasty. Not exactly like takeout, but still really good.

Thursday:
Curried chickpeas with spinach and beef
I combined two recipes to make this. This first was vegetarian curry, which sounded delish but my husband does not believe in dinner without meat. So I found another recipe that called for curry seasoned ground beef and incorporated that. I HATE ground beef but my husband had bought some at the store and it needed to be used. I think this would have been better with chicken or no meat at all.



Friday:
Red beans and rice
This was probably no where close to authentic red beans and rice, but I made it up all on my own without a recipe. It was tasty. So tasty that I ate leftovers for lunch the next day and I hate leftovers.



Sunday:
Chicken Pot Pie
This is probably the best thing I make. It's so good and pretty easy. Caleb requests that I make this almost every week when I meal plan, so be prepared to see this lots.



So every Monday I'll try to write about my cooking challenge and what we have been eating. I'm craving Asian, so be prepared for a bunch of DIY takeout dishes next week. And feel free to leave some of your favorite recipes. My "things I want to cook" folder is overflowing right now, but I'm always on the lookout for new things.

1 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Your dinners look delicious. I am not much of a cook but told my husband before Blake was born that we need to make some changes like eat at the dinner table instead of in front of the tv on the couch. I don't want him growing up not having family dinners. Yeah, that hasn't really changed yet... ugh.

    ReplyDelete