Friday, January 31, 2014

I just want my pants to fit

Well. It's been nearly 5 months since Wilson was born and I'm still not in my pre-pregnancy pants. womp womp womp I'm still holding on to about 15 pounds of pregnancy weight. It seems to have all settled around my hips and thighs and I don't like it.

I really really don't like to talk negatively about my body, especially after my body worked so hard and made my perfect baby. It's a good body. I don't ever want Wilson to have a negative self image, and I know if he hears me picking myself and my body apart flaw by flaw, those thoughts might find their way into his thinking one day. I want my son to be proud, strong, and healthy. So instead of being critical of my weight and so called "flaws", I want to focus on making my body healthy and strong.

Now, please don't think that I don't find myself hating what I see in the mirror. Because those thoughts creep in so easily. But I try to catch myself and reroute those thoughts. I try to remember that my body looks this way because 1) I created a person and 2) I have not been very good at eating well or exercising.

This past month, I have been trying really hard to eat more healthy and exercise. And it hasn't been torturous like I had been expecting. I've been taking baby steps and easing into it, and I feel like I'm on the right road. Here are just a few of my strategies for being healthier.

1. Drinking tons of water. I quit soda cold-turkey on my birthday and have been soda free for almost two weeks! The biggest aid in quitting my soda intake has been my Soda stream. I use it to make carbonated water, which I love. It makes water a lot more exciting. Water is also free, so I feel good about saving money. I'm currently drinking at least 4 liters a day.

2. Exercise! I have never ever been big on exercise. If I'm being honest, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have "worked out" in my adult life. So not healthy. The past few weeks I've been really intentional about making time to exercise, even if it's just some stretches and running in place for a few minutes. I have done the Jillian Michaels DVD some, but I for real hate it. It feels like torture and she annoys the crap out of me. I recently found POPpilates at Blogilates and I love it. Cassey is so bright and peppy. But don't let the pop music and her smile fool you. Pilates is freaking hard. But it's new and fun and I'm enjoying it. I even got out of bed early this morning to work out!

3. MyFitnessPal. This has been huge for me. I've used myfitnesspal in the past, but never stuck with it. Now I log EVERYTHING in it. It really helps me see what I'm eating and where my calories are going. It helps me make better choices and also has made me more aware of my portion sizes. It's a great tool. My only qualm is that I cook most meals homemade so I have to guesstimate which prepared dish is most like mine. But, hey, it's still super helpful.

4. Cook at home, all homemade. I think my weekly food posts prove that I like to cook. One of the perks of cooking at home is that you know exactly what is in your food. No extra sugar, salt, or unpronounceable ingredients. It makes me feel good knowing I'm putting good food in my body.

Hopefully the extra weight will start coming off soon. But if not,at least I know my body is strong and well nourished.



No comments:

Post a Comment