Monday, May 5, 2014

Wilson -- 8 Months

8 months. My baby is 8 months old. This time 8 months ago, I was making the decision to get this baby the heck out of me and to have a c section. Still one of the best decisions I've ever made. But 8 months ago, I couldn't imagine the big, playful, expressive boy I would have now. The fact that he has grown so much in only 8 months continually blows my mind. We were playing on the bed last night and I kept getting glimpses of Wilson where he looked like a toddler, not a baby. He just seems big and grown. 


- I'm guessing Wilson weighs 21 pounds and some change. He hasn't been weighed since his 6 month check up, but he doesn't seem to be packing on the pounds as quickly as he did when he was littler. We did measure him last week and he is 29.5 inches long. 

- He is still wearing size 4 diapers and probably will for a while, which is good because we have kinda amassed a stock pile. His clothes are some 9 month but mostly 12 month. Some 6-12 month pants still fit. Last month I was missing seeing him in onesies, but now I adore all of his little t-shirts. 

- Thankfully, Wilson has gone back to sleeping throughout the night. He goes to bed around 9 and wakes up around 8-8:30. About once a week he will sleep super late until 10 or so. Those mornings are the best. 


- Naps are still a struggle. He fights them so hard. He screams and hits and pulls my hair. It really breaks my heart. He is always so tired and needs to sleep but does not want to give into it. It sucks. And I'm still rocking him through 80% of his naps. I tried letting him cry it out once, but that backfired horribly. So, I'll keep rocking him. He takes a morning nap from 10:45-12:00 and a afternoon nap from 2-4. We decided to cut out his evening nap and it helped him sleep better at night. 

- Wilson cut two teeth at the beginning of this month. One came thru on a Sunday and the other popped thru by Thursday. And he has been a much happier baby since. He has just recently learned to "use" his teeth and now bites and chomps away at his food. 

- Eating is another struggle for us. He has essentially quit eating his puréed baby food. He does not like being fed. He wants to feed himself. Which I am on board with, but I struggle to find things to feed him. He eats bites off of our plates but I would like him to eat healthier options. We tried the "gerber grabber" ravioli and carrots and he ate those really well but the salt in those is super high. I think I'm just going to have to start cooking him his own veggies and things. 

- He takes a 9 ounce bottle in the morning, 8 ounces at noon, 8 ounces before dinner and then 10 ounces before bed. 


- Snacks are probably his favorite things in the world. Rice puffs, potato puffs, Cheerios, and cookies are like his baby crack. I seriously have to limit what I give him because he could easily eat 2 dozen at a time. 

- He is crawling now! He doesn't do the classic knees and hands crawl, however. He tucks one leg under him and then uses the other to push with. It works exactly like crawling, it just looks very awkward and hilarious. He is getting super fast and can go from sitting to crawling in seconds. Trying to get him to be still is impossible. Most of his 8 month pictures looked like this:

 
And this:



- In addition to crawling, Wilson is pulling up on everything. The couch, our legs, chairs, his crib, everything. And he is ridiculously good at it and so quick. He likes to practice his balance and lets go of whatever he is holding on to, but he falls pretty quickly. He loves to practice walking. He really just wants to stand all of the time. 

- He can say mama, dada, and baba on command (most times). We tell him to say "dada" and he will start babbling "dadadadada". He babbles a lot now, especially if he is tired. He also makes a funny noise where he makes an "ahhh" sounds and moves his hand across his mouth. So silly. 

- I always said I wouldn't let Wilson watch tv, but well, I do. Not a lot, but if I need 20 minutes to shower or do chores, I put him in his saucer with his cup and snacks and put on "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood". It's a fool proof way to make him happy and content. It's funny because Daniel Tiger is about the only show he is actually interested in. But he lights up when he hears the theme song. And I'll admit, it's a pretty cute show and teaches important social skills. We have watched the first season on Netflix 3 times already and I sing the songs in my sleep. 


Likes: his duck bathtub, Daniel Tiger, his cup, snacks, Sadie and the cats, his grandparents, the park and swing set

Dislikes: diaper changes, changing clothes, going to sleep, being left alone, being told no, riding in the car when he isn't sleepy 

1 comments:

  1. Have you noticed him not eating as much? Blake seems to have days where he hardly wants to eat at all and it really throws me off! I love the noises they are making now. Blake does a "mmmmm" noise whenever I feed him his favorite foods (carrots, sweet potatoes or pears) an it cracks me up. Our boys are growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete