Friday, August 15, 2014

5 on Friday!

1. Caleb and I start school Monday! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. The first day of school has always been a highlight of my year. I get giddy over meeting new teachers and about all the learning and growing. I know that Wilson's first day of kindergarten will be on of my favorite days ever. 

I met with my advisor yesterday. He was also Caleb's advisor for his masters, so that makes me feel a little awkward. Caleb and I are very different types of students. I really don't want to be compared him. 



2. Wilson has become very interested in books. He doesn't like for me to read the words, he only wants to talk about the pictures and make the animal noises. But still. He has shown 0 interest in books before now, which had me slightly worried. Now he will pick a book out of his toy box and bring it to me. He sits in my lap and laughs at my horrible farm animal impressions. He doesn't like to look at the pages in order and is constantly turning the pages back and forth. It's really sweet and I love cuddling together on the couch and reading together. 



3. One of my ongoing personal goals is to become a less picky eater. I was a terribly picky eater as a child and while it did improve some as I got older, I still feel like I don't like a lot of things. I don't eat any seafood or fish. I only truly like a handful of vegetables. I'm really weird about my food's texture. I feel like I'm limiting myself from some great things and being really annoying/immature, so I am actively working on retrying things I don't eat. 

One of the biggest strides I've made is liking sushi. I used to gag at the thought of it. The first time I tried it I almost cried because it was so gross but we were at a nice restaurant so I couldn't spit it out. While I was pregnant, for some strange, hormonal reason, I started craving sushi. We would go out to japanese places and Caleb would order some. I would take a bite and I still didn't really like it. I kept craving it even though I didn't particularly like it. It was weird. 

Since then, I still get a craving for sushi, but I've gotten used to it and I actually enjoy it now. I love it really. We have a Chinese buffet/Mongolian grill that also employs a sushi chef. For $10, it's all you can eat sushi! It's not the fanciest, but it's fresh and tasty. We went there Wednesday and I had probably 3 plate fulls of sushi. It was so satisfying. 



4. We have some nonstop busy weeks a head of us. We have 3 weddings, a birthday party, a vacation, a bridal shower, and an anniversary crammed in the next two months. And as soon as all that is over, it'll be thanksgiving and the holiday season. Whew. It makes me tired thinking about it. 



5. After reading countless reviews and studying over hundreds of pintrest projects, I finally ordered my sewing machine! It should be here Monday and I am so excited to set it up. I don't have any clue how to sew, but I'm looking forward to learning. I've always enjoyed working with my hands and making things. And I really need a hobby. I need something to do just for me and my enjoyment. I think my first project is going to be curtains for the living room. Curtains seem pretty simple. 

1 comments:

  1. I wish I was interested in sewing. When I was growing up, my mom made all of our clothes and looking back, I think that was so special.

    There is no Once Upon a Child here :( There was one in Colorado Springs that we went to a few times when we lived here but there is only 1 here in Mississippi, with a second one opening soon in Biloxi. For a while I wanted to open a second hand store like that...

    Sushi is delicious! I have come to realize that everyone we know here is stuck in this bubble and fail to realize there is this whole WORLD out there to explore and try different cuisine's. Like my husbands step sister is all "I won't eat anything new" and "I need to know exactly what I'm eating and if I don't know what it is by looking at it, I won't eat it."

    ReplyDelete